The new XR 16 Driver is officially a winner on Tour after Danny Willett used it to close out a massive victory on Sunday at the Omega Dubai Desert classic. In just his second week with the XR 16 driver (and fairway woods) in the bag, Willett beat out a loaded field and rolled in a walk-off birdie on the 72nd hole to close out his 4th career win.
Here’s a look at his winning putt:
— The European Tour (@EuropeanTour) February 7, 2016
This is another huge win for #TeamCallaway in what’s already becoming a phenomenal year on Tour (Branden Grace won just last week on the European Tour). As for Danny, he’s one of the hottest players in the world and one of the game’s rising stars. Here’s a look at what’s in his bag:
- XR 16 Driver (10.5*)
- XR 16 Fairway Woods (3-wood and 5-wood)
- Apex Utility Irons (3-4)
- Apex Pro Irons (5-9)
- Mack Daddy 2 Wedges (47*, 54*, 58*)
- Odyssey Versa #1 Wide Putter (Black/White/Black)
- An SR3 Golf Ball
In Willett’s testing with his XR 16 Driver, he showed good ball speeds and the spin was really tight. It proved to be an asset for him in Dubai, as he finished 10th in the field in driving distance. The new driver is off to a sensational start as players like Danny Lee, Marc Leishman, and Matt Every are among the players who are already gaming it.
— Danny Willett (@Danny_Willett) February 7, 2016
Here are some other gaudy stats after the big win for Willett and XR 16:
– It’s the second straight European Tour win for #TeamCallaway after Branden Grace defended his championship in Qatar last week. And it’s our 3rd in the last four weeks.
– Callaway is now 1-2-3 on the European Tour’s Race to Dubai: Henrik Stenson, Grace and Willett
– Danny has now won 3 times in the last 14 months
– He entered the week at #20 in the world, and could potentially move into the top 15 next week. He would join fellow Callaway staffers Stenson, Patrick Reed, Jim Furyk and Grace inside the top 15.
– He is now one of the leading frontrunners to make the European Tour Ryder Cup team.
Congrats to Danny, and to the XR 16 on the first of many wins.