CallawayGolf.com

Phil’s Phrankenwood – What You Need To Know

When Phil Mickelson hinted two weeks ago that he might play a new club at Augusta, the rumor mill quickly started spinning on golf message boards and social media. We knew what club Lefty was referring to, but we were still guessing whether it would make it into his bag. He finally put all the speculation to rest at his press conference on Tuesday and now we can officially say:

PHIL MICKELSON IS PLAYING THE CALLAWAY X HOT PHRANKENWOOD AT AUGUSTA.

We’ve got all the insights and info on Phrankenwood for you, courtesy of @ScottyG. Here’s the scoop:

Phrankenwood

phrankenwood-2013-80-5x7

The Callaway X Hot Phrankenwood is a prototype and a bold extension of X Hot Fairway Wood technology.

(Translation: It goes really, really far at really, really fast ball speeds)

Like other X Hot Fairway Woods, Phrankenwood has a stainless steel construction with a Speed Frame Face Cup, made of high strength Carpenter 455 stainless steel, and an ultra-thin cast stainless steel body.

It’s essentially Phil’s brainchild as he wanted a modern 2-wood (yes, a 2-wood, that’s not a misprint), and he worked closely with our R&D team to get this club developed for Augusta. Of course, this begs the question, how did he think of it in the first place?

The quick answer: he was inspired by new X Hot Fairway Wood technology.

Phil saw significant distance gains with this technology, to the point that he actually drove it over the green on a par-4 in Houston with his X Hot 3Deep Fairway Wood. So he started looking for a fairway wood built from this technology that he could hit as far as a driver, but with a flatter ball flight and greater control of his shot shape.

Sure enough, his X Hot Phrankenwood prototype provides a unique combination of shape, size, X Hot ball speed and a significantly lower spin rate to help him work the ball off the tee. And as we saw in Phil’s interview on Tuesday, he’s obviously excited about this club, which is bad news for the rest of the field.

His prototype model has an 8.5-degree loft and 250cc, and he’s using a Fubuki k 70X Prototype shaft in the club this week.

So what do you think, will Phil win a fourth green jacket with the Phrankenwood in his bag? Tell us in the comments section.

46 Comments

• social network marketing…

hey there and thank you for your information – I have definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this site, since I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to …

• self Help says:

self Help…

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Very useful information specially the last part 🙂 I care for such information much. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and good luck….

• TCKflSQV says:

TCKflSQV…

Phil’s Phrankenwood – What You Need To Know | Callaway Golf Tour Blog…

• KzHXLhxH says:

KzHXLhxH…

Phil’s Phrankenwood – What You Need To Know | Callaway Golf Tour Blog…

• james says:

Is this club going to be sold to the public

• Callaway Golf Callaway Golf says:

James,

• Luis Luaces says:

I can hit my 3wood better than my driver, (VFT).
    I need you to make me one, Pleaseeee !!!

• Bas says:

Same as Luis, I am interested, makes three! Please Callaway?

• Mike Harmon says:

My Callaway extreme driver is a 10.5. My 3 wood is a x hot pro. Sometimes it is the same distance but, most of the time my 3 is longer than my driver. Is this a norm with Callaway now? I have been with you guys for 10 years. Am I missing something?

• Douglas says:

I WANT ONE Please make it

• Chris says:

I hate the oversized drivers ive bought two different ones and they suck. I love the more compact head size so ya u guys need to put something simular to th phrankenwood on the market,i would jump on it

• Alex says:

Seriously, there are a bunch of us who are interested in the Phrankenwood. It is time to replace my Mizuno T-Zoid Forged Titanium driver (9 deg), and I don’t really like the idea of swinging a 400 cc headed beast. Given the 13.5 deg X Hot Pro goes about 240-250 for me, I might be able to bomb that thing out past my driver (275 avg).

• Jason says:

With all the hype around this club and all the interest in the market you would be crazy not to have this available ASAP. Who is running the show over there? Are you making too much money?

• Dan says:

I’m left handed, so if you have an extra head from when you made them for Phil feel free to send it to me for some beta testing.

• Ryan says:

I agree with everyone else. Please put this club in production. Or make it a special order.

• Already in the club house says:

Get a game
    Get a sponser
    Get a funkenclub

• Jeff Chang says:

i’m very interesting in this club, unfortunately this kind of club probably not gonna be in retail shop in taiwan.
    if it’s possible, i would be interest to test this club!!!

• J Taylor says:

Great Job again Callaway! Phil isn’t going to win this week, but the Phrankenwood will pay huge dividends the rest of the year. Phil is always a winner in my book. My XHot pro 15 fwy woods is my Phrankenwood! Super long!!

• mrv says:

why wouldn’t you bring out this club.I hope another brand does if you dont.
    There are many many golfers who hit their 3 and 5 woods better than their driver.

• Gil says:

I currently own a X Hot Driver 9.5 and a X HOt 3 wood, i hit my driver about 40 yards further then my 3 wood but my 3 wood of the deck is super long i find getting on the green in two even on a miss hit drive and laying out 250+ yards

• turkey feathers says:

James,

Hmmm, talked to our inside rep the other day and we have them coming

• turkey feathers says:

“James,

Phrankenwood is a prototype club built specifically for Phil so currently there are no plans to bring Phrankenwood to retail at this time. We’ll let you know if that changes. We appreciate your interest. Thanks for posting!””

Hmmm, talked to our inside rep the other day and we have them coming

• Bryan says:

I am a huge Phil fan and have purchased a boatload of Callaway and Odyssey products over the years because of my respect for him and his golf game.

However, I do have a question. Are the research folks at Odyssey also developing a Phrankenputter for Phil? It appears he could use the help these days.

• BgfVPElG says:

BgfVPElG…

–…

• paul mullen says:

re Phrankenwood

Personally I hate these frying pan drivers these days and currently hit a 13 degree 3 wood.
    Don’t think you can get stronger but have been looking for a small ( less than 300cc ) headed driver but none available.
    This club sounds ideal so come on Callaway–don’t miss the moment !

• Char005 says:

I would preorder this now if I could. Love smaller drivers and am always looking to bring my spin down. My 3deep is a beast and would love that fast feel in a lower loft for bombs from the tee.

• Monster Headphones…

We occassionally usually do not love hermes bags 2012 what we should, they might be be a little more concered about tends to be that we’ve been scouring the amount, an individual do get things chanel outlet sale sufficient? Which kind of women of vari…

• replica oakley sunglasses…

Your article is here, the feeling of a mere individual can bring in more.Let these people from all over the world, even in the heart with weal. We are not solitary….

• Charlie says:

I have never been happy with the big head driver. For years i have been looking for a 3 wood with a 10.5 loft that I could use off the tee. Phil has come up with the answer now all Callaway has to do is get it to market before someone else does.

• Andrew says:

I just bought the X Hot irons this week. They are the best irons I have ever owned. I would be very interested in a production version of the Phrankenwood with 10.5 degrees of loft and a 45″ Project X 6.0 shaft. My current driver is a Titleist 913 D2 with a Diamana blue shaft, and I hit it very long, but not always in the fairway. I can hit fairways all day long with my 3 wood, so it would stand to reason I could give up a little distance in exchange for always being in the center of the fairway.

• angelo de león says:

yah me too, need to hit more fairways to get my handicap to single digits…..easier for me to swing and control 3 wood vs driver..ahh smaller head.

• Mike Smith says:

Make mine 10.5, 43.5 inches and d1 with a 75 gram firm flex 3.8 tq. shaft….. Please.

• Mike Smith comfortable playing their 3 wood off the tee. I personally play an old warbird deuce and frequently hit drive's just as long as players with higher s.s using driver and very seldom miss the fairway. I'd love to see an updated version. says:

But seriously I think there’s a market for this. I’ve talked to a lot of people who are more comfortable playing their 3 wood off the tee. I personally play an old warbird deuce and frequently hit drive’s just as long as players with higher s.s using driver and very seldom miss the fairway. I’d love to see an updated version.

• Callaway Golf Callaway Golf says:

We appreciate your excitement for our products but we have no plans at this time to commercialize this prototype. If you’re looking for similar performance characteristics off the tee, we recommend testing out the new X Hot 3Deep Fairway Wood.

X Hot 3Deep has a deeper face design with a look that Tour players prefer to produce a penetrating flight for more consistent distance. Thanks for all your comments!

• Mike Smith says:

Two deep 11.5 degree?

• Adrien Jenot says:

Make me one in Left handed, stiff shaft and adjustable degrees! pleaseeeeee. I would buy the shit out of it!

• seemorebutts says:

please me want

• Justin says:

PLEASE — PLEASE — produce the phrankenwood. 8.5 Right handed — I’m in…

• Dustin says:

Not everyone wants a 460CC head. I would LOVE to have a 250CC 8.5* club, consider producing these!

• BG says:

Mr. Callaway Man…I want one also!!!

• Bernard P. says:

I am surprised by the specs. With 8.5-degrees of loft and a 250cc volume, the Phrankenwood is hardly a 2 wood.

A 2 wood would have a loft in the 12 to 13 degrees range.

I would like to know the lenght of the Phrankenwood.

From the listed specs, and depending on lenght, it seems the Phrankenwood is closer to a classic-style driver, before heads strated getting bigger and shafts getting longer.

I can understand Callaway not putting the Phrankenwood in commercial production, as it would go against technological and market trends of the last two decades.

• Peter maxwell says:

I recently won my county’s junior and youth championship with a total of 3under for two rounds without a driver in the bag and just using a 3wood ! Im also left handed ,GET THE PHRANKENWOOD IN PRODUCTION PLEAAAAASE

• Mark Saunders says:

Like many other I do not like the 460 head on a driver. I have been looking for a three wood size head with a lower loft. (8-9.5). Callaway you have a market here. I suggest that you rethink and make plans to put out on production or at least make it available for special orders. I would order mind today

• Graham Gorman says:

I already hit my XHot 3 as far as my driver but it is still not far enough on long par 5s, this phrankenwood would correct that situation and I’d order one immediately if it were available. Come on Callaway read all these comments and get with it, there is a demand for this club.

• Brian says:

I really want one. I am still using my old great big bertha 8.5, and need one to replace it.