CallawayGolf.com

Woodland’s Powerful Performance Leads Reno-Tahoe Win

Gary Woodland showed how you close out a win in his convincing 9-point victory on Sunday at the Reno-Tahoe Open. We knew he’d be long off the tee (as in “333.4 yards per drive for the week” long) with his Callaway Driver and Fairway Woods, and the first year Staff Pro combined huge distance with pinpoint shot-making and clutch putting to pull away from the field.

Woodland leaned on his Callaway clubs, a HEX Chrome+ Ball and an Odyssey Versa #1 Wide Black Putter to clinch the victory. Among his eye-opening numbers for the week were his 78.5% driving accuracy, 1.596 putting average (4th in the field), and again that 333.4 yard driving average wasn’t too bad either. He entered the final round in the lead and was never seriously challenged over the final nine holes.

“Honestly, (HEX Chrome+) is the best golf ball I’ve played in my life,” Woodland told our Callaway Tour Team after his win. “From the way I can play it off the tee box and around the greens, I’ve never had a golf ball that I can control that way.”

Woodland went on to add, “I can’t thank you guys enough. And I look forward to many, many more years and many, many more wins together.”

The equipment details: Woodland told our Tour Team that since he was hitting it so long, he used a 4-wood for all but one of his tee shots on the back nine during the final round. His RAZR Fit Xtreme 4-wood has 15° of actual loft, is 43.5” long with 2” tipping and a GDI G Proto shaft. His RAZR X Muscleback Irons (3-9) feature Project X 7.0 shafts and they’ve been a staple in his bag this year.

As for his putter, Woodland has been in a Versa #1 Wide Black since Bay Hill, where he told our Tour Reps that the double bend shaft, high contrast alignment and subtle toe hang were all what he was looking for.

Woodland’s powerful performance in Reno also added to a dominant last few weeks for HEX Chrome+ and Versa. Phil Mickelson became the Champion Golfer of The Year just two weeks ago with a HEX Chrome+ and a Versa #9 White Putter in the bag.

With his win, Gary earned a spot into the final major of the year in Rochester, NY. He’ll look to make it back-to-back wins for him and back-to-back majors for our staffers. You can learn more about Woodland and all of our players now on our Callaway Staff Pros page.

Congratulations Gary!

14 Comments

• steve berry says:

This year I purchaced new irons(x-hot), new driver (razr fit extreme),new 3 wood (razr fit extreme) and a new wedge(mack daddy 2). Sounds like to me all I need now is a sleeve of hex chrome + balls. How about a free sleeve to try out!!!

• Callaway Golf Callaway Golf says:

Steve, a lot of our Staff Pros have turned to a HEX Chrome+ Ball for the distance and control they get from it! And in the phone call above, Gary said it’s the best ball he’s every played!

• Tanner says:

Went with XHot pro irons with KBS shafts and versa 1 putter my handicap has dropped from a 12 to 7 seemingly over night (3 months) with the addition to chrome plus. Long off tee very minimal side spin and GREAT green side control! Team callaway

• Bernard P. says:

Is it an oversight that this article doesn’t mention Gary Woodland’s driver? I assume he is using a Callaway driver. I found this:

• Callaway Golf Callaway Golf says:

That is correct, Bernard, Gary used a Callaway driver to win in Reno.

He’s played a Callaway driver all year since he became one of our Staff Pros.

Thanks for posting!

• Marshall says:

That’s great what made Gary choose the razr xtreme over the xhot?

• Tanner says:

This doesn’t have much in the way of woodlands comments. And seems a little out there. Lol. But because of players like Phil and the family man he seems to be , as am I and players like woodland , els etc. and mrs Jackson at team callaway. I went and had the callaway name and chev tattooed on my right calf so other golfers could see it when I stroked those shots down the pipe. Go CALLAWAY

• Tanner says:

Team callaway
    I also failed to mention the 3 deep. “Thanks phil” because of you I have left the driver in the bag and just crush that 3 deep. It’s so much better than any 3 wood. I went to rblz tour like u and I thought wow. Couldn’t find anything to match it until the 3 deep and wow. Matched and surpassed. I just got another Extreme though and about to put it in bag as well. It’s an unsurpassed driver in my opinion. For us am. Golfers it’s excellent.

• Tanner says:

Gary woodland. You have gotta use the new Mack daddy 2 haha.

• Tanner says:

Hey Phil. My wife and I drove to callaway on June 11th for my birthday and was treated so fantastic the only thing that could have possibly made it better would have been able to meet you when you flew in for your daughters grad. You are the man. Hope to do it again sometime!

• Mike says:

I am moving to an all Cally bag myself! Optiforce 440 is the longest and best feeling driver I have owned. Just gamed my Optiforce 4 wood today and was amazed at the distance and ease of elevation. My XForged are the best feeling irons I have owned and while not the most forgiving they do provide accurate and consistent distances and the ability to shape the shot if I want to. Gaming Mac Daddy 52/58 and love the feel and spin. Only thing left is a putter and I am on the hunt for one that suits my game. Thanks Callaway for making great stuff!

• thariq says:

I was a trully Tailormade driver owner from R7, R9,R11, till RbZ driver. Live in Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia. Suddenly, I decided to change to callaway FT optiforce460 projex X 6.0 shaft, after I read the product review. Firstly I hesitate when I purchase it, but after I tried it on 18 hole today, I couldn’t believe that it deliver more than the product review, my ball flew longer, straight, easy to control and so forgiving. My drive was effortless but itwent miles. All my friend was supprise to see my drive today as none of them is using callaway.